Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Welcome to Atlanta!

Yesterday we flew out of San Francisco to our first stop Atlanta, Georgia. The flight was not as long as I thought it would be. I asked my boss to give me something to work on so I had something to do on the long flight, and he gave me the task of learning Adobe InDesign and learn how to create a brochure. I searched youtube for some tutorials and downloaded them through a great new website called Zamzar , which my co-worker, I call her the Mac Queen, told me about. So, the plane took off and after about an hour I started up my MacBook Pro and attempted to figure out InDesign. I searched through the tutorial to try and figure out how to add plain text, and for whatever reason when I opened up the tutorials in quicktime the resolution wasn’t so great and it just got worse when I tried to make the screen bigger, set-back number 1. It took me a while to find the right tutorial, and once I did the video was so blurry that I couldn’t see which buttons he was pressing to get what I wanted, I could only hear him. Set-back number 2. Once I figured out the correct buttons, the result was not what it was supposed to be. I eventually figures out how to create text, change the font and color, and how to import pictures. Before I knew it the stewardess was on the intercom saying that we should be landing shortly in Atlanta, so my fabulous plan of trying to create a simple brochure on the airplane did not exactly happen. But, I learned how to add text and a picture and I think that is a pretty good start. Hopefully I will have some more down time to get some work done and enjoy the trip.

Augusta, here we come!
After the plane landed we rented a car and drove about 45 minutes to the outskirts of Atlanta to visit my father’s cousin and her husband who I have never met before. To be in the presence of a retired Air Force Coronal, who was a graduate of West Point and served as an aid in the White House under President Eisenhower, was a great experience. We practically stayed up until midnight listening to stories of his time at West Point and the White House, as well as looking at albums of old pictures of his wife’s family and playing with their cat Golda. I left this morning with a greater respect for the men and women in uniform and a higher level of understanding of my family history. We planned on leaving their house between 9 am and 10 am the next morning, but the company was so great that we did not end up leaving until 11:30 am.

The two lane highway to Augusta was full of trucks and yet the traffic was not too bad and the two hour drive went smoothly. We arrived at the condo, un-packed and went to eat at the restaurant that is famous for seeing and being seen. The walls of T-bonz were lined with pictures of Tiger and Phill as well as autographed flags and t-shirts. The food on the other hand was not up to par, but I guess the fact that all of the people who come from Augusta National, as well as the players and caddies, hang out there for drinks and some food after each round makes up for it. After we ate, when drove to the golf course and walked up to the entrance of Augusta National and stood in line at the merchandise trailer and bought a few things to start off the memorabilia train. We drove to downtown Augusta expecting to find some exciting things, but were sadly disappointed that most of the stores were closed. So, we just drove through and circled back to the house and watched all of the fans coming out of the various gates as well as all of the golf manufacturer's trailers, and unofficial merchandise stands. We took the rest of the day off and relaxed at the house and watched one of our favorite shows dancing with the stars and went to bed.

No comments: